In the Czech Republic, the use of trunk roads and motorways by vehicles is subject to a user charge:
Road use charge - vehicles up to 3,5 t
Any passenger vehicle with at least four wheels and up to 3.5 tons in weight must have an electronic vignette when using a section of toll roads. The vehicle must have the vignette before entering the section of road: Map of specified road sections.
Motorcycles and trailers do not require a valid electronic vignette.
Types and prices of Electronic Vignettes
|Type||Standard Price||Eco Price*|
|1 year||1 500 CZK||750 CZK|
|30 days||440 CZK||220 CZK|
|10 days||310 CZK||155 CZK|
*Eco Price: for vehicles fuelled by natural gas or biomethane. Not LPG.
The electronic vignette can be bought in the online shop, the point of sale network or in self serve kiosks.
For vehicles powered by electricity, hydrogen, or a hybrid fuel system (provided CO2 emissions do not exceed 50 g/km).
It is required fo fill a Notification of an EXEMPTION.
- A driver found to be on a toll road without a valid electronic vignette (without being exempt) faces a fine of up to CZK 20,000.
- Controls will also check for abuse of exemptions. If a physical or legal entity submits an exemption announcement without have the right to the exemption, the fine can reach up to CZK 100,000. If a car is eligible for exemption, but the driver didn’t submit a notice despite the law demanding it, the fine can reach up to CZK 5,000. The same fine can be levied on those who do not announce an end to the right to the exemption within 10 days.
More practical information can be found on website: edalnice.cz
Electronic toll system - vehicles over 3,5 t
The use of a toll road by a vehicle with at least four wheels and the maximum permissible weight of over 3.5 tons shall be subject to a toll payment. Before using toll roads, a vehicle must be registered for the electronic toll system, a deposit must be paid and the electronic device must be properly installed in the vehicle. Registration in the electronic toll system depends on the payment method selected. A registration form must be completed. This is available at all distribution and contact centres and can also be downloaded from the following web site: www.mytocz.eu
The rate varies according to the number of axles and the vehicle emission class: toll rates
The toll for the use of a particular section is given by the multiple of the rate and the length of the section: toll road map; toll calculator
Vehicles must be registered in the electronic toll system and equipped with an electronic device (on-board unit) for the purposes of inspection. Exempt vehicles shall not be subject to toll payment and electronic device is in the toll exemption mode: vehicles exempt from toll payment.
- A driver of a vehicle in the electronic toll system commits an offence by violating the provisions of Section 22j of the Act:
- by using a vehicle not equipped with an operational electronic device;
- by using a vehicle without entering data into the electronic device or entering the data incorrectly;
- by using a toll road with a vehicle not registered with the electronic toll system operator;
- by failing to comply with a police officer's or customs officer's order to check the operability of the electronic device and toll payment; or
- by handling the electronic device in an unauthorised manner;
- by not providing a toll payment.
- A legal or natural person as the vehicle operator in the electronic toll system commits an offence by violating the provisions of Section 22j of the Act:
- by not providing the registration of a vehicle in the electronic toll system and not reporting without undue delay a change of the data required for recording;
- by not providing the installation of a registered electronic device in a vehicle;
- by not providing a toll payment;
- by ordering, permitting or entrusting the driving of a vehicle in the electronic toll system that is not equipped with an operational electronic device on a toll road;
- by using an electronic device intended for a specific vehicle and registered in the electronic toll system in another vehicle in the electronic toll system; or
- by not teaching the driver of the vehicles being operated by him/her about how the electronic device is handled and used.
More practical information can be found on website: mytocz.eu